112 N. John Wayne Dr.
Winterset, IA 50273
The present courthouse is actually the second structure on this site. The original courthouse on this site burned down in 1875. A second, identical structure was built in 1876 and is made of native limestone. The interior woodwork and twin staircases are made from locally milled oak and walnut. Writings and drawings from incarcerated persons from the early 1900s can still be seen on the third floor courthouse wall. The Madison County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.