Built in 1874 of native limestone, the school was in continuous use until 1945. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Please note that the Interior of the North River Stone Schoolhouse is only accessible by making an appointment with the Madison County Historical Complex or on a personal group tour led by the Madison County Chamber. It is owned and maintained by the Madison County Historical Complex.